Saturday, March 6, 2010

Comments on Shrinebuilder

As quoted in Seattle Weekly (full article linked):

..."To be perfectly honest, I was left wanting a little more from it," confesses Jon Weisnewski, bassist/vocalist for local metal mainstays Akimbo, which also released its most recent record on Neurot. "Based on pedigree alone, Shrinebuilder inadvertently set the bar extremely high for themselves, but that's no reason to downplay their collaboration just because it isn't this fanboy fantasy of Houdini plus Through Silver in Blood plus Dopesmoker," he continues, referencing the highlights of each band's back catalog. "The record is definitely quality, and I'm frothing to see them play it live. Regardless of any preconceived expectations I had whipped up in my head for the album, I am 100 percent positive that these men will crush souls in a live setting."...
 
 And here's the full, non-edited version:

To be perfectly honest I was left wanting a little more from it. I'm a huge fan of all members and their respective projects and when you hear about a lineup like this you want so badly for it to be this monumental end-all be-all of heavy music. For me it wasn't, but thinking about it I don't think I can pin point what that record would sound like. I had the same reaction to Them Crooked Vultures, good stuff but in my eyes not as good as the contributors' individual projects. 
Based on pedigree alone Shrinebuilder inadvertently set the bar extremely high for themselves, but that's no reason to down play their collaboration just because it isn't this fanboy fantasy of HoudiniThrough Silver in Blood plus Dopesmoker x 100. The record is definitely quality, and I'm frothing to see them play it live. All those wonderful dudes have been players on records that are all time favorites of mine. Crover's drumming... Cisneros's bass rig live is just pure victory. Regardless of any preconceived expectations I had whipped up in my head for the album, I am 100% positive that these men will crush souls in a live setting. I'm really excited for the show, and for their future I really hope this isn't just a flash in the pan or some kind of Probot bullshit. They should make more records and make me eat my words. I would be happy to do so. 
We'll be at the show. See you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment